top of page

Thank You to Our Sponsors & Partners

Cavemen Quarterback Slot Still Open

  • kmarksteiner0
  • Jul 30
  • 3 min read
ree

By Don Eskins

During the 2024 prep football season, no teams in the Land of Enchantment threw the pigskin better than the Carlsbad Cavemen.

With senior quarterback Kason Perez calling signals, CHS amassed a total of 2,173 yards through the air. Perez made good on 170 of his 273 passes. He completed 62% of his throws, registered 27 touchdowns, and had a QB rating of 108.9.

Hauling in most of those yards was Perez’s favorite receiver, junior wide-out and CHS record-setter Robert Castaneda. At 5’9” and 158 lbs., CHS’s leading receiver pulled in 48 of his passes for 711 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Castenada’s 12 touchdowns in a season set a new school record. He also set a new school record for most receiving yards in a game, 220.

For their efforts, Perez closed out the season ranked first in Class 6A football for total yards thrown. Castaneda ranked fourth for total yards receiving.

But, while Castenada will be returning for another year of Cavemen football in 2025, Perez won’t. He’s moved on to the Junior College ranks and will be suiting up for the New Mexico Military Institute Broncos this season.

So, the big question flowing around the Cavemen football camp during off-season and summer workouts has been, who’ll step up to get the football to Castaneda and a stable full of other returning talented receivers that include Eloy Lopez, who grabbed 35 catches for 400 yards and one touchdown, Eaven Leos, who hauled in 22 catches for 321 yards and five touchdowns, and Richard Hernandez, who collected 29 catches for 306 yards and four touchdowns,

Besides these seasoned veterans, Braden Florez and Jaden Harper are also expected to contribute to this year’s receiving corps.

Perez threw all but one of Carlsbad’s total pass attempts last year. So, during the 2025 gridiron season, when it comes to chunking the ball downfield, who’ll…

CHS Update: QBs in the Wings

Two athletes, last year’s second leading receiver Eloy Lopez and junior Marley Munoz, have been competing for Carlsbad’s open slot at quarterback. However, as of yet, neither has been penciled in as CHS’s No. 1 signal caller for 2025..

Cavemen head coach Cale Sanders says both Eloy and Marley have displayed individual strengths on the field in their efforts to land the job.

“Both have exhibited characteristics that have made them the leading candidates to succeed Kason,” said Sanders. “Right now, though, the job is still open. We’re just waiting for one of the two to step up and take control of the offense.

“For me, it’s a great situation; we have two very capable kids competing for the spot, and that makes me smile,” said the Cavemen head coach. “A lot of other programs can’t say that.”

As for the season, Sanders said his charges are anxious to get on the field.

“Although we still have a lot of work ahead of us, we’re all excited about the new season,” he said. “We feel like we have a good blend of talent and experience on this year’s team. If they continue to work hard, and we can stay healthy, I think our season can be a good one.”

Practice officially gets underway for the Cavemen on Monday, August 4. On Friday, August 22, they’ll open up 2025 in Carlsbad against the Artesia Bulldogs.

2025 Coaching Staff: Head coach Cale Sanders; assistant coaches, Michael Widenor, Charles Millar, James Norman, Dedrick Simpson, Bryan Jones, Jarod Florez, Todd Florez, Ronald Branch, Max Asay, and Brandon Florez.

Comments


Latest Stories

bottom of page